Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks

You're probably reading this after Thanksgiving, so please indulge me and rewind to Thursday.  This year, like last year, we are the guests of friends for dinner.  My wife decided to have our family dinner on Wednesday evening, and it worked out great.  At the Thanksgiving table each year, I ask each person at the table to share something for which he or she is thankful.  My daughter's boyfriend  (he and she are both ND alums) got a big laugh when he stated that he was thankful that the Charlie era is almost over.  A photo of his downfall is at the right.

Giggles aside, I always think about the things for which I am thankful, and here are a few.

My wife.  She promised me never a dull moment, and it has been so.
My family.  They are always a source of amazement to me.
My friends.  Good friends make life rich.
My career.  I could never have scripted it.

I started writing this with a plan to be clever and amuse.  Instead, reality came out. 
Kind of like life.

On to the wagers.  I would be thankful for a mittful of cash, too.

**** Northern Illinois @ Central Michigan -13
Noon Friday
Central Michigan QB Dan LeFevour's last home game is the bet here.  NIU has made us some money when we've called their number this year, but Dan LeFevour has demonstrated an ability to perform at a high level when he's on a big stage, and he has one here in his final home game.
*** Navy -9 @ Hawaii
9:30 p.m. Saturday
The Middies have put together a pretty nice season, sporting an 8-3 record.  The Rainbows are 5-6, and they're riding a 3 game win streak.  The late season trip to the Islands is often poison for visitors, but that's not likely to be the case with the disciplined Navy squad.  They should dismantle the Rainbows quite effectively, though you're going to have to stay up really late to watch this one.
** BC -6 1/2 @ Maryland
2:30 p.m. Saturday
BC is 7-4 coming in, Maryland is 2-9.  The Eagles are 1-3 on the road, but Maryland is only a 2-4 home team, so the location doesn't appear to be a big factor.  I'm counting on "the other Catholics" to pull us through, and with better bowl position on the line, they should easily handle the Terrapins.
* Memphis @ Tulsa -16
2:30 p.m. Friday
This is the marquee match up of a couple of Two Gun Pete's favorite squads.  "Breathe for Me Elvis" Memphis, 2-9 overall and 0-5 on the road, against the 4-7 Tulsa Golden Hurricane ( a glittering 1-4 record at home). 
Memphis: a five game losing streak. 
Tulsa: a six game losing streak.
Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

No comments: