Monday, April 12, 2010

Dr. Nic, Random Walk and Library Police

Congratulations to the new Dr. Nic (Two Gun's daughter) who is a brand spanking new PhD.  Dr. Nic successfully defended her thesis to the assembled brain trust at the U and has become a woman of letters.  Wonderful!

Next:  Random walk is a finance term used for market behaviors.  Here it is used to describe "I don't have one topic of interest because it's the tundra of football season". 

Spring football practice is not interesting.  The Ducks are in jail, Lane Kiffin isn't worth researching, there's no SEC scandals to keep my interest and it's not yet time to see who drafts whom to play in the NFL.  So here's the random walk of short topics.

Eastern Washington is putting down red turf on its football field.  As did the Boise State blue a few years back, EWashington has chosen to distinguish itself with an unusual turf color.  It is red, as red as red can be.  I saw a rendering (click) and I think it's hideous.  Click the link, then watch and listen to the totally dopey video.  Next.

I am so saddened by the passing of the boy from Cincinnatti who fell from his spring break hotel balcony to his death at the age of 17.  Drunk and belligerent are the words that were repeated over and over to describe his condition at the time.  At 6"6' and 290 pounds, a drunk and belligerent man-child cannot be easily subdued. The police talked about finding out who supplied the alchohol. Big deal. He would have gotten it somewhere.  To his parents, my heart aches for you.  To Notre Dame, where he was headed, that's unfortunate for you.  To everyone, when did it become de rigeur for high school children to run off to Florida (or some other beach locale) for spring break bacchanale?  Isn't that supposed to be the world of college students?  A year or two older makes a big difference in learning lessons from others' mistakes.  Mom and Dad, a lesson too late from Nancy Reagan: just say no. Don't care how big he is, he's still your child.

Finally, on a matter of considerably less gravity, to my respected friend and wagering partner, Two Gun Pete:  you cannot keep my autographed hardcover copy of Playing With the Enemy.  I'll get you a paperback, but I want that one back.

To clarify, I am not an Indian giver, I am a persistent lender.  To offset your angst, I will offer to share with you a new word that I learned just today: refulgent.

refulgent\rih-FUL-juhnt\ , adjective;

1.Shining brightly; radiant; brilliant; resplendent.
Usage example:  Despite having exploited his refulgent demeanor, Two Gun was crestfallen that his ploy had been negated.

Blame it on Nancy Reagan.

1 comment:

Doc said...

Thank you Steve!
I am feeling rather refulgent right now :)