Friday, July 22, 2011

USC, Whom We Used to Love

One of the most unlikable coaches in big time college football is Lane Kiffin.  But you knew that.  One of his young charges, a running back by the name of Mark Tyler, is just what the Kiffster ordered. 

A mutt.

Young Mark, whose father, Wendell, was himself a USC running back (and subsequently a 49er) made some headlines by getting himself suspended this week when he was asked a question about being paid to play.  TMZ, the slutty TV show that ambushes celebrities to ask them questions that may or may not (usually not) have some legitimate journalistic basis, found young Tyler and queried whether he could make more money in the NFL than at USC.  He responded "USC, they breaking bread".

Folks who are multilingual in this particular form of ebonics translated that statement to mean that Tyler was expressing that he is well compensated by his chosen institute of higher learning.  Lane Kiffin, the mentor of the student/athletes who comprise the school's football team, and Pat Hayden, who oversees the whole USC sports circus, were less than pleased with Tyler's glib, though not readily intelligible, response.  Tyler was suspended from all the football team's activities through and including the season opener. Mark Tyler's apology, a statement that does not appear to have eminated from the same processor that uttered "USC, they breaking bread", reads as follows:
The USC mascot, held for ransom by
a masked man?  Hi-ho!
"I am disappointed that I let down all the people who have supported me as I have been working through some personal issues. I realize how my behavior and my statements, even though I was joking, can reflect poorly on so many people. As a veteran player, I should know that my job is to be an example for the younger guys."    

The statement reads like a reprimand that the school would have given Tyler, not a statement that the young man would have made.  Were I scripting his apology, it would have said ' I'm sorry I tried to be funny and hip when the asswipes from TMZ came up to me.  I realize now that nothing referring to my school's cheating way is amusing to the school administration'.

Tyler isn't exactly an angel who was splashed with mud.  Earlier this week, he had to respond to charges in the university disciplinary process that back in April he spit on a female student while he was drunk and later laid unwelcome hands on another female student. 

So, too bad for Mark Tyler, good for Lane Kiffin, and Pat Hayden...good luck with the screwballs who operate under your big top.



No comments: