Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Little Light in the Tunnel

We spent Sunday night in Tifton, Georgia, hit the road around 8:00 and ground out the remaining miles of the Peach State.  Southern Georgia is nicer than the rest, and then it's Welcome to Florida.  Everything feels different.  No more need for maps.  No more apprehension about the roads.  It's Florida.  We've been coming here forever.  We've always had great times. 

Disneyworld when he was so tiny.

Passing Gainesville.

Our first Daytona 500, when he was 10.

Passing Ocala.

New Year's in Reddington Beach, and the Outback Bowl with Northwestern, just a couple of years ago.

46 miles to the 275 bypass.

I want to turn around, and maybe we'll try this again next year.  I'm not letting go of my boy.

6's lacrosse pal from Jersey, DJ, his mom texts Mimsy to say they've landed in Tampa.  Meet you at the Hyatt, how exciting!

Downtown Tampa comes into view, and my son happily chirps from the back seat "School!"

My son is starting college. 

I never dreamed this would be so hard.

1 comment:

Doc said...

It won't help the empty nest syndrome, but remember, one of your 4-Star posse resides in Tampa and will always be available (or my significant other) if 6 needs anything, at any time.