Friday, October 22, 2010

Eight is Enough

Today, we salute Tom Bosley, recently departed but living on in reruns.  Everybody remembers him as Howard Cunningham, the dad on Happy Days.  In my clouded mind, I remember him as Dick Van Patten, the dad in Eight is Enough.  I think I remember him as someone else because they had more fun kids and better looking women on Eight is Enough, including one on whom I had a huge crush.  Crushes like that can be remedially cured by Googling the crushee and seeing what they look like now.  So, bon voyage Tom aka Mr. C., and Dick Van Patten you be glad you're not him.

Here's the picks for week 8.

Central Michigan @ Northern Illinois -9 1/2 ****
The Huskies have played well and seem to be improving weekly.  Central Michigan is not exciting.  I'm going with the hot hand here.

Doesn't this look like a real family holiday photo? BAH!
The object of my crush was...hold on, there were a
couple of them who were pretty hot.  I'll get back to
you, I gotta go check Google before I confess.
East Carolina -12 1/2 @ Marshall  ***
The old saying goes : as the days grow shorter, bet on the Pirates.  It's not very lyrical, and it's not very old, 'cause we just made it up.  But ECU has a history of getting stronger as the season progresses, and this season should show the same.  Marshall is a sentimental favorite always, because of the tragedy they endured.  That would be the tragedy of having Matthew McConaughey portray the coach who rebuilt the devastated program after the terrible airplane crash.

South Florida @ Cincinatti -7 1/2 **
The Bulls have been a big floparoo in my book.  Cincinatti isn't what they were a year ago, but I don't think that they need to be in order smack around USF.  I'm looking for Collaros, the Bearcat QB, to have a big day.

Alabama @ Tennessee UNDER 48 *
I've spent a lot of time (and not a little money) trying to figure out Alabama.  The third time is the charm.  Their defense is very good, their offense not exactly explosive so far.  If the trends for both squads hold true this week, we'll be find with the UNDER.

2 comments:

Doc said...

While running yesterday an owl delivered me a missive concerning an attempt by Fourstar and Two-gun to break the curse of USB. Furthermore the attempt is interfused with another wager... A Catholic-Convict parlay? This is a brazen move to break the curse noting that All Saints Day draws near.
As long as UNC merely covers and does not actually beat my Canes, the Westchase, Fl and Christine O’Donnell coven endorse this parlay.

Happy Saturday, Tampanita

PURPLE FLAG ON SATURDAY said...

Ack! The work of a scrivener with skills to amaze! The fates, too, were evidently quite annoyed with our attempt to tempt (and against a United States of America Service Academy, no less!) and kicked our aging arses with nothing left to doubt, as USNA clobbered USB. Thanks for the lovin' from the coven, we need all the kindness that the world can muster...look at our numbers.