Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ho Ho Ho

That's not a Santa quote, that's me rationalizing my weekend.

Reaching an impasse with the movers. 



My plan for a half day off on Friday afternoon got quashed.  That led, in turn, to a wasted afternoon and to getting stuck at home on Friday night, on the couch with the cat, while the Friday afternoon project was left hovering over me until Sunday.  I really have a problem with having to wait to get things done. Early Saturday morning, I drove to pick up a golf club I had purchased on line.  I paid the bill, chatting away with the chap at the golf shop.  He thanked me, then pushed a club head, no shaft, just a head, across the counter.  Clearly, I had not read the ad very well.  He will let me know on Monday how much extra it will cost to put a shaft in.   A little later on Saturday, I had a piano moved.  Truth.  The movers seized the holiday opportunity to shake me down for an extra c-note over the quoted price. Merry-freakin'-holiday.   Saturday evening...on the couch, again,  with the cat, again.

The Saturday football action was right in harmony with my life.  Harmony...that sounds like it should be good.  Ho ho ho!  Joke's on you!  On us, actually.

We bet  the dogs, remember?  UTEP, the 11 1/2 point dog, dug themselves a hole, a big 31-3 hole, and couldn't climb out, losing by four TD's.   We lost the opener.  By the way,  when UTEP scores, their band plays a march tempo rendition of the Marty Robbins song "El Paso".  A little odd to hear, but fun.  Speaking of odd, what's up with BYU...something like 20 of their players are married and have kids of their own. How old are these guys?

Then came NIU. With their heralded head coach headed off to the hinterland, they hammered Fresno State in the Humanitarian bowl, exposing our theory that the head man's absence would prove fatal.  NIU is really good, plain and simple, fundamentally strong on both sides of the ball.  Their head coach for one game, assistant Tom Matukeiwicz, has now won more bowl games than the last 60 years of coaches at Northwestern.  NIU is the Huskies.  These are the dogs we should have taken, but did not.   That hard lesson left us at 0-2 on opening weekend.

Then came Troy.  They put a proper beatdown on Ohio, 48-21, making us look like the geniuses that we attempt to be.  By the time this one ended, I had settled in for a long winter's nap, my submission to Seasonal Affective Disorder.  We're 1-2, headed for a 32 game winning streak.

Ho ho ho.

No comments: