Monday, December 6, 2010

You Can Drink at the Laundromat, But You Can't Wash Clothes at the Liquor Store

Friday night we lost the four star because we chose to ride Northern Illinois a little too long.  Miami O broke NIU's heart and our bank roll.   Besides selecting the wrong team, I thought the game would be an over, so I saved money by not betting that.  Later, Jerry Kill would grab our next Lane Kiffin Carpetbagger of the Year Award, as he will be skipping NIU's bowl game to head off to coach Minnesota. 

Here's wishing you a lot of anguish in your new post, Jerry. The Huskies should have left you back as King of Carbondale.

Saturday, after a shopping trip to Celina's Polish Deli and then to the internationally famous Weber's Bakery on Archer Avenue in Chicago (where I bought the entire--not the half--chocolate frosted pound cake) I settled in with the big bigscreen (that would be the basement one) and watched Wanny's Panthers and the Cincinnatti Bearcats slip and slide through the snow for a big 28-10 Pitt win.  Only one star, but it felt good to book the winner.

Then came Idaho.  They won.  Unfortunately, it was a 3 point OT victory; we gave 13 1/2.  2 star crap-0-rama!  I think I need a new hobby. 

Sunday morning brought good news.  Hawaii won by 38 points, 3 star winner.


Should you need to wash your clothes when
south of the border, do not go to the liquor store.
 In years past, reading the stat sheets to find our selections has been like doing a puzzle.  Read the clues, give it some thought and the answer, generally the right answer, becomes evident. 

This year, it has been more along the lines of working in a foreign language, one in which you have just enough proficiency to creat havoc.  Example: a few years ago, during one of our jaunts to Mexico, we ran out of beer.  On this particular trip we were in an old hotel right on the beach with no store nearby, so we needed to grab a taxi and run to town.  In Spanish,  I confidently told the taxi driver where I wanted to go.  He looked puzzled and questioned me as we drove off.  I repeated my instructions.  He protested a little, but I prevailed.  A few minutes later we pulled up in front of a laundromat, where I finally retreated to English.  The taxi driver, with a big grin, pointed out the similarity to my gringo ears of licoreria and lavaderia, liquor store and laundromat.

We've been to the laundromat quite a bit this year.

PS: Pick bowl winners, win a $100 grand here.

No comments: