Monday, January 25, 2010

Coaching Changes

This coaching college football thing, it's pretty volatile, you know?  I haven't ever kept count of the moves, so I was surprised by the arithmetic after I read this paragraph that comes from VegasInsider.com:

There have been 22 coaching changes dating back to the start of last season, not counting Urban Meyer's ``gone-today, here-tomorrow' stunt, with vacancies still open at East Carolina and Louisiana Tech. That means this season's game of musical chairs will have more than the average number of participants for the last decade (19), but still well short of the 32 coaches who changed places in 2000.

There's 120 head coaching jobs. 

22 changes is 18%.  The average number of changes, 19, is 16% of the total.  Those are big numbers. 

Some of the coaches get recycled, most do, in fact, so it's not like draw and discard.  You can play off the discard pile, and certainly you can steal from others.

Average length of tenure across the entire universe isn't too revealing, as you have Joe Paterno on the one hand, with his 112 years of seniority in Happy Valley, and you have your Lane Kiffin on the other hand, who moves around like a water drop on a hot griddle. 

I have no sagacious conclusion, just a lot of flying factoids.

So there. 

By the way, if you missed it (lucky you) the East-West Shrine game on Saturday sucked.  I turned it off and the game gods punished me.  The Sunday newspaper informed me that I missed Mike Kafka's MVP winning performance at the end of the game. 

Go 'Cats!

No comments: